Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mandy made me do it . . .

I am finally sitting down to write something. I've been horribly busy but Mandy has cut me no slack. She threatened to stop being a follower of my blog (even though I have no posts) if I didn't start posting, so here it goes . . .

So glad to be back after a two week hiatus from Jiu Jitsu. I was on vacation for a week with Mandy's family. (Where I learned that some people consider "Italian" a food group.) I gained ten pounds. I cried when I stepped on the scale. So I went out and ran ten miles. No really, it was my long run day. But I was heavily satisfied by coming back from the run 7 pounds lighter.

The date of Sept. 27th can't get here quick enough. I want to run the half marathon and get it over with already. I've had the realization that I'm a runner. I love running. I feel free and my heart fills with joy when I run. BUT, training for 13.1 miles is a bit of a bore. My Monday long runs are starting to hang heavy on my heart. I never thought I would have the boredom issue, but I am. Training wise I'm way ready for the race. I think I've peaked in my training a little early and I feel like I have no where to go with it until the race. My long runs are now a game of mental endurance. I also need to run someplace other than Liberty State Park.

I think I have one marathon in me. Just one. And then I will resign myself to a life of one half marathon a year and then all the 10ks and 5ks I can sign up for.

As to my original thought - Jiu Jistu. I got to be Issac's chew toy (A purple belt testing for his brown shortly) for a good half hour/45 minutes today. I almost didn't make it to class this morning. I woke up at 8:30 (need to be on train by 8:45). I was tired from the day before and really whiny. Then I thought to myself, "Wes, get over yourself! There are tons of dudes who would love to have the opportunity to train Jiu Jitsu and here you are taking it for granted and pissing away a day of training" . . . so I went. It was awesome. Small class of four guys with Issac and Nuno teaching. We did a half our of technique and then an hour of open mat. I got home glowing and happy - but now a case of trainwreckitis (if I may quote the author Mark Law from his book, Pyjama Game: A Journey into Judo) has set in.

I guess I overdid it yesterday. I did 45 minutes of weights which was brutal and I was pretty much gassed about halfway in. Then I did a run of 5.3 miles in 47:39. So I averaged 8:59 minutes/mile. Not bad for someone who just did a total body weight workout inclusive of 5X5 squats and 50 body weight squats.
It looked something like this . . .
warm up with squats - light weights leading up to
Squat 5x5
Press 5x5
Push ups 3x failure
Seated cable row 3x12
Sit ups on decline bench 3x25

50 body weight squats

Bicep Curls 3x12 (each arm)

I know I'm vain and should forego the bicep curls but I have to admit, since doing the Experiment 7 film I've been wanting Ving Rhames type arms. It makes me look and feel bad ass. (Or at least as bad ass as my hippy trippy look/persona will allow.)

On the writing front, I finished my most recent pilot idea! The first draft of The Dunswitch Academy is done! Now I'm waiting on my few readers to tear it apart as well as my agent Clay to take me to task on it.
I'm soooooo impatient and like a kid waiting to open presents . . . so please readers . . . get off your asses and read it!!!
I like the script - I need some perspective on the second half of it so I can go back in and improve it. The first three acts I think are really solid. I actually felt sort of rushed with the second half of the pilot - like I needed to hurry up with it and get to the ending scenes and the tag. The problem is act 5 is over 15 pages. Which is long for an hour episodic. So maybe I should write it as a TV miniseries and let it be what it wants to instead of making the last half of the pilot almost all events or jolts instead well done storytelling/plot?
We'll just half to wait and see what my few readers say.

As for dinner tonight?
Broccoli with lentils in a chicken broth, steak strips, and baked sweet potato fries. We'll see if Mandy gets around to posting my home made, low fat, low cal meat loaf recipe . . . then MAYBE I'll let her post my baked sweet potato fries recipe.

Until Next Time True Believers . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment