Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When the miles cease to matter.

My mileage has been adding up. Two weeks ago I hit just over 46 miles in a week. Last week I only did 36 miles as I felt it was a good idea to de-load since I was feeling the fatigue from the week before. (Actually if you count my hike on Sunday I did just over 40 miles last week. )

Something happened to me due to that 46 mile week. Another mile became simply another mile. I noticed the shift on Saturday when I had a 4 mile race in the morning. In an effort to get more mileage in I came home and ran another 6.5 miles. I just did it. It was easy. It was just more miles.

A year ago when I ran four half marathons and nine other races I never would have felt that way. Due to my heavy mileage everything has become relative. My average run is now 9-10 miles. This weekend I have a long run of 18 miles as a tune up in Central Park. It's just 18 miles. What I care about now is how fast I finish it. How I run it. The miles no longer matter but the quality of the run does.

The biggest worry I have as of late is trying to squeeze in these runs with my work schedule. My travel season for my job is starting to get rolling and the anxiety is building. It's a lot easier to run 20 miles at home rather than on the road in a strange city where all you are doing is hotel and plane hopping. Red eyes where you land at 6 AM are terrible for running.

But there's nothing I can do to change any of that. The first Sunday in November will be upon me and I will have to put my head down, tackle the bridges and maintain my pace. I can't go back redo all of my training . It will either be there or it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment