Wednesday, January 29, 2014

An Awfully Big Adventure

As many of you may know I am currently teaching at Virginia Commonwealth University.

While I don't wish to bore you all with discussions of teaching acting and this technique versus that technique or the drama that happens behind the closed doors of our ivory towers of education . . . I do want to share with you all something.

This semester I get to to do something really cool.

I'm teaching a new class  - Creating and Producing Webisodes & New Media. Essentially I'm getting together with students from Mass Comm, Comm Arts, English, Film & Photography, Theatre, Kinetic Imaging and Advertising and we are making a scripted web series.

Pretty cool huh?

While I'm still amazed that Christina Lindholm in the Dean's Office said yes to my crazy idea, it's probably one of the coolest things I've done.

I thought I would document the process here. I hope others may find it useful, especially if you teach young people who are interested in New Media or finding new ways to tell their stories.

Don't tell my students, but I think I'm learning more than they are.

To let you know how it's working, I decided to call it online as VCUarts New Media Project. This semester of the class is going to be known as Season One. If this course happens a second time that will be Season Two, etc.

We will have to see how it all goes.

You can follow their work through Twitter, @VCUartsNewMedia

If you are curious to see how it goes, stay tuned  . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment