Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Procrastination Nation . . .

This morning I didn't run off to Jiu Jitsu. My ankle is still really tetchy and I'm not sure what to do with it. I should have went to Jiu Jitsu, but I also had some news to deliver to a friend about a common acquaintance that passed away. I Used the phone call as an excuse not to head to the 9:30 am Jiu Jitsu class.

Fear over my ankle injury is getting me to make excuses not to train. I hate fear.

I think I'm teetering on that very fine knife's edge of over training.

I will however do a mid-distance run this afternoon before heading to rehearsal for Jihad The Musical. You heard me correctly, Jihad The Musical. By the way, I'm playing a character called Hussein. You do the math.

Feeling crappy and over my head about the musical since I'm not a musical theater person, I never have been, nor have I ever passed myself off as one. I'm doing it because they asked me and I think they need the warm body there for the composers to hear it before they head off to London for the production being done there.

As for running and the ankle . . . I did a short, 4.25 mile, run on Sunday. The ankle held up. It was strange and scary as running on it felt like I was running with a piece of wood attached to the end of my leg. But then am I being paranoid and hyper-aware?

I'm not going to lie to you, it did hurt. But it wasn't unbearable and it wasn't like the pain changed at all during the run.

The question still hangs in the air, can I run 13.1 miles on it without causing serious damage to myself?

It's also not healing as fast as I want it to. If it's a bone bruise it could take a long time to stop hurting.

I actually caught myself looking at the New York Road Runners Website and saw they have a half marathon coming up October 11th in Staten Island. I started thinking to myself that I could always do that one . . .

But these thoughts are like admitting failure . . . I hate failure.

Some of my loved ones don't understand why I would even consider running a half marathon while injured. They are obviously people that haven't trained for something. It would be a huge blow to my spirit if I spent all this time:doing long runs, sprints, speed drills etc. and not do the race that has been my goal. It would leave me with a sad and heavy heart.

On the upside my buddy Chris and I have decided to start working on a project together. In an effort to help his teaching I suggested he start a blog to help him refine his ideas and be pro-active about his own creativity. (I'm all for encouraging people to write, in a any way, shape or form. The only writers that piss me off are folks who claim to be writers but never write anything!)

In addition to his blog I suggested he start a pod cast to help support it. So, now we are. We are going to be interviewing folks connected to the business of acting and putting it out there into the void that is the world wide web. I think this should be fun. We are viewing ourselves as the Click and Clack, The Car-Talk of the acting world.

Anything is worth doing as long as I get a good story out of it and learn a little about something.

On the recipe front. I was feeling all Fall like again so I made a Sheperd's Pie. Or rather a variant on it. Mandy loves it. I haven't heard a verdict yet from Chris. But I'll post the recipe in a day or so.

Until next time True Believers.

No comments:

Post a Comment