Thursday, September 10, 2009

Red velvet cupcakes and working out on the road . . .

Ugh. Right now, as we speak I need to be getting ready to leave. I'm hoping on a plane to Iowa this week week. Unfortunately I want to be in the gym right now. As a result I am without enough time - and will have to run when I get into town this evening. (I was busy this morning applying for a job as a scriptwriter for video games and I had to put together writing samples . . . )

I also have to learn to cut the cord from computer as I will only be tethered to my Crackberry for 4/5days!

So before I leave town I figured I would post two things. One, my red velvet cupcake recipe. And two, my take anywhere body weight workout that I adapted from a wrestling workout. (Hence it's grappler friendly)

Red Velvet Cupcakes
(290 cal./cupcake, 35g carbs, 3g protein, 16 g fat) Makes 24
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
2 1/2 cups cake flower
2 TB cocoa powder
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP baking soda
1/2 cup veg oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 TB red food coloring
1 TSP vanilla extract
1/2 TSP Vinegar

FROSTING
8 oz cream cheese (1 bar)
1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 TSP vanilla extract

Bake 325 for 15-20 min. Remember to only fill the muffin tins or wrappers 2/3 full or you will have issues.




Now, here's the workout to burn off those cupcakes!

GO ANYWHERE BODY WEIGHT WORKOUT
WARM-UP
Hang out in a downward facing dog - for at least 30 sec. Then move to a Plank position
Plank - ten counts
Side Plank Left and Right - ten counts each
Repeat x2, x3 - whatever you need . . . but remember what's coming next!

SET ONE

Body weight lunges hand beside the head - 20 each leg

SET TWO
Standard Push ups 20
Crunches 40
Wide Grip Push Ups 20
Crunches 40
"W" Push ups 20
Crunches 40
Fingers turned in or "Bicep" Push ups 20
Crunches 40
Knuckle Push Ups 20
Crunches 40

SET THREE - PLYOS
30 sec on/ 30 sec off for 4 sets
Split Squat Jumps
Mountain Climbers

SET FOUR
Pull ups to Exhaust (if you have a pull up bar)
25 Standard Push Ups
25 Sit ups
25 Dips off a chair
25 Push ups - feet on chair
Pull Ups to exhaust (If you have a bar)
25 Dips off of a chair
25 Sit ups

SET FIVE
50 Body Weight Squats.

You can take this total body workout with you anywhere - do it in hotels etc. And to make it more difficult you can always go back through and repeat a set if you feel the need after one time through. It's not a perfect workout - but it's easy to remember and you can literally take it almost any where.

For me I tend to follow it with some solo grappling drills and then I go for a run and stretch like crazy (15-20 min,) after the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment