Sunday, October 18, 2009

An addendum . . .

I want to pick up on something I wrote in my last post and clarify a point.

I want to make it clear that I don't hate all theatre.

Here's a litmus test of the theatre I hate/don't hate . . .

If you are a group of people who firmly believe that as theatre makers & storytellers you have a unique vision of the world and/or a unique story and you feel compelled to tell it?

Then by all means do it.
We need unique voices.

Let's face it -I hate most new plays because they feel like television. And believe me - I love television. It's my preferred medium of choice.
If I am reading/watching your play and I think to myself . . . would this be better filmed or shot? Then we have a problem. It's not theatre. So writers, I beg of you, write things that feel like plays. I actually got excited over a new play the other day. It was an audition for a show at New York Women's Project. A play called Smudge. It was awesome. A terrific play, that could only be a play and would not work in another medium.

But I digress . . .

Back to my original point.

If you are starting a theatre company because you feel like you talent just isn't being heard and no one wants to even give you a call back or a second interview. (Or even a first you are agent hunting.) If you feel like you just have to be onstage no matter what and that the world and the industry is wrong for not recognizing it.

Do me and everyone else a favor.

DON'T.

Find something else to do with your life.

Please.

Don't suck up limited funding and audiences and annoy your friends because of some narcissistic need for people to look at you.

I blog, I'm a complete narcissist - but it's free and no one has to pay for it!

Here's a tip, your Mommy and Daddy did love you even if they never said it - you don't have to keep vying for attention from people who are never going to give it anyway. So give yourself a big hug and say, "I can do something else with my life and be a productive member of society."

Oh and a tip, he/she from last night isn't going to call you today because they could smell the desperation and crazy coming out of your pores. So don't call them. Love yourself a little and try to get some self respect. Desperation is a scent best left in the bottle.

Ok, I'm done with that rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment