Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Favorite New Shows.

I've decided to dedicate this post to something I love dearly, TELEVISION.

I love it.

Deep down in my heart I think it is one of the greatest storytelling mediums ever.

When it's great - it's incredible. When it's bad . . . It's Jon & Kate + 8.

TV is where my hopes, dreams and wishes lie . . . I want to make really great TV and be a part of some amazing storytelling.

Putting all of that sappy crap aside, here are my picks of the current crop of new shows.

#1 FLASHFORWARD
In case you live under a rock and haven't caught it, you should. Terrific cliff hangers, solid performances, interesting writing and a concept I HOPE won't jump the shark or get worn out like LOST has.

#2 MODERN FAMILY
Thank you someone for getting Ed O'Neil back on TV. Ty Burrel, so funny. And yes, that was Shelly Long on a recent episode. It's funny, truthful, endearing and I will never listen to the Lion King the same way again.

#3 GLEE
Say what you will but I am addicted. The pilot was brilliant. The following few episodes were shaky but I feel like the show has found it's storytelling feet and it's style to create a complete world. I just hope it can keep it up. I had my doubts but they have been able to create some great moments with some smart writing (I'm assuming that's Ryan Murphy's doing?) even when the rest of the episode was, blech.

#4 VAMPIRE DIARIES
Attack me if you must, but Kevin Williamson is pretty awesome. He writes angst ridden teenagers acting like adults better than anybody. It shoots in Georgia instead of on a lot in LA and despite some bad acting, the writing is sharp and one or two performances aren't bad. I have high hope for it. I want it to stay on the air. I know its soap opera like and I wanted it to fail and then I watched an episode . . . I didn't hate it. So, I watched another. And like another Williamson show, Dawson's Creek, it's highly addictive and I'll watch it in my closet, alone, if people will judge me for my TV tastes.

SHOWS WALLOWING IN THE SOPHOMORE SLUMP
Here is a show returning for a second season that, quite frankly, isn't great . . .

1# FRINGE
Throw things at me if you must, but Fringe sucks. I dislike like it for a number of reasons. 1.) They bailed on NYC and moved to Vancouver, BC. 2.) They have completely dropped, ignored major story developments in hopes that the audience won't notice. 3.) Anna Torv, is bad. The cast that surrounds her, Joshua Jackson, John Noble and Jasika Nicole is terrific and interesting. 4.) Stop giving Lance Reddick jobs. He is bad and has never been good and is one note. 5.) Did I mention the writing?
I had such high hopes for this show and it just never lived up to any of them. It could have been cool, it could have been great. Instead it took the middle road and went bland. Maybe it will surprise me -I doubt it.

Here are two shows that I really like that are back for a second year . . .
#1 CASTLE
I know it's innocuous as hell, but I really do like this show. The writing isn't bad, the supporting cast is great and while sometimes it crosses a line into cute and corny, I still like it. Molly Quinn and Nathan Fillion make the show for me. It brings a smile to my face. I quite frankly don't know why I like it -but I do. The only bad thing I have to say about the show is that is should shoot in NYC full time. It's set in NYC - it should be shot in NYC.

#2 MAD MEN
Duh!. 'Nuff said.

HERE IS A SHOW THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BACK!!!!!
#1 SOUTHLAND
Why, oh why NBC did you pull the plug? NBC, stop making horrible mistakes. At one point you were the top of the networks and now, well, you are at the bottom. SPIKE TV makes better programming decisions than you do.
I was looking forward to Southland's return. Here was a show, that while sometimes off the mark, I felt that if given a full season order could do something unique on Network. I hear rumblings that TNT may be picking it up. I hope so.

MOST ANTICIPATED NEW PROGRAMING.
#1 MEN OF A CERTAIN AGE
I know, mock me for my sentimentality, but the trailers/commercials make me want to watch it. Maybe it appeals to the side of me that's a dude and isn't getting any younger. Scott Bakula, Andre Braugher and Ray Romano? That alone will get me to watch it. I hope it doesn't dissapoint.

#2 V
I'm not even going to justify this choice - to anyone who grew up with the original, I shouldn't have to.

For those of you who are curious as to what I consider good and bad TV here is a partial list of some of my all time favorites.
MASH
ROSANNE (the first 5 seasons, up to 3 was some perfect, amazing TV)
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (the most recent)
RESCUE ME
SLINGS & ARROWS (go Canada!)
LIFE ON MARS (The British NOT American.)
SCRUBS (I don't care what you say, I will watch it anytime, anywhere!)
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
THE WEST WING (up to season 5)
X FILES

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I've got off of the top of my head.

Until Next Time True Believer's . . .

2 comments:

  1. I like Heroes & House, other than that and Law & Order I mostly watch crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love House, this season's opener was a pretty terrific piece of writing.
    Heroes has made me so angry. Heroes is a perfect example of a show that has gone horribly, horribly wrong. I still watch it with hopes that it will improve. They do for a few episodes and then wham! Back to crapville.
    L&O:CI has improved greatly with the arrival of Jeff Goldblum. And everyone loves SVU.

    ReplyDelete