Thursday, October 15, 2009

Trainwreckitis!

Yup,
Trainwreckitis . . . it's my one of my favorite words. I stole it from Mark Law who at the ripe age of 50 decided to take up Judo.
Trainwreckitis is also how I feel at the current moment. I'm back at the Jits full bore with both barrels blazing since my road race season has drawn to a close.
I missed my last race due to a memorial/funeral I had to speak at. I have to admit, while I was happy to speak at the memorial, I was more than a bit grumpy that I was missing the Staten Island Half Marathon. Oh well.
Now I just have to keep my running fitness up and not let my weekly mileage drop too low during the winter.
Which brings me back around to the Jiu Jitsu. I was sad that I wasn't able to belt test. But injury and traveling for the family back in Iowa kept me away just enough so that I didn't feel ready for testing. So the next belt test is Dec. 15th and I have to be there no matter what. (I don't think Sensei/Professor/Maestre will let me slide on this one.)
I already have the syllabus for it so getting the information down pat should not be a problem.
The real problem is going to be keeping my body intact. I've added training days and I'm also trying to drop a weight class. I'm the smallest of the "big guys." As a result I end up fighting guys who outweigh me by 100-150 lbs.
It sucks.
If I drop a weight class the guys I roll with who are a few pounds under me won't be able to complain about having to roll with a guy that outweighs them by ten pounds. (They have no idea what's it's like rolling with the really big guys!) So, I'm hard at work at dropping some weight, increasing my flexibility and increasing my explosive power. (If only I had kettlebells to work with!)
Right now Trainwreckitis is how my body feels.
I fought off a guillotine choke for a good five minutes today and I know my neck won't be right in the morning. I also spent the whole class and open mat time fighting from the bottom in half guard. I got sort of angry when one of the guys (who was resting off to the side) told me I was being lazy - at that point I'd been fighting for 20 minutes from the bottom and was getting my face smashed in. I'd also been fighting for consciousness for the last 2 or 3 minutes - the jerk. I'm all jacked up. But I only have one more day to train this week before I get two days off to heal and rest. (Well, I'll run/lift/stretch/yoga/plyometrics - but no jits for two days.)

Until next time true believers. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment