Friday, October 16, 2009

Why I hate theater & a recipe you must make!

I hate theatre . . .
Let me clarify that point.
I hate MOST theatre.
My friends hate it when I say things like that. It really rubs them the wrong way. I don't blame them for getting angry. I'm attacking the very foundation upon which they stand.
So let me clarify further, only a handful of the last couple of plays/musicals I've seen were worth even the student rush price or the SRO price.

August: Osage County, I would have paid double.

For the most part though,NYC theatre is pretty bad. The actors are terrible and the production values suck.
Wait - let me clairify this . . . MOST NEW YORK THEATRE SUCKS.
Yup.
I've seen great theatre in Spring Green Wisconsin at The American Players Theatre. I have yet to see a bad show there.
I've seen great theatre in Chicago, Ohio, Florida even Iowa. . . but alas NYC theatre sucks.
It's over priced and I'm tired of being solicited by friends to come see their shows.
Here's a tip kids . . . I don't want to pay $15-$50 bucks just to see my friends perform!
It doesn't mean that you are doing anything real. It just means that you bilking your friends for money and guilting them into coming - but you are not really building/developing an audience!

Of course let's face facts, most of the actors in New York shouldn't be actors. They are bad. They are here sucking up space at auditions never really doing anything and living like dogs because they don't have the emotional maturity to say to themselves, "It's okay if I do something else with my life."

So, here you go kids, I've just said it for you. Now move back home and figure out what to do with your life.

I have, of course, opened up a box of worms, a can of Pandora with these words. I've gotten involved with a fledgling theatre company. But I swear I will adhere to the next two principles . . . it will entertain, i.e. you will always get your money's worth. So if the ticket cost $15 I will make sure you get $15 worth of entertainment?
Fair?
And I swear that all shows will at least be visually interesting. If nothing else the show will look cool.
Agreed?

Good.

Right now I'm working on my cutting/arrangement of Twelfth Night. Yup, I'm over hauling The Bard. I trying to cut it down to one hour and twenty minutes.
What's funny about this is that I am a purist. I am. I love the text. I'm a text Nazi - but when it comes to directing, I can't be precious. Plus I'm trying to accomplish something with my cutting.
I also promise you it will look cool.


OK, now for the recipe . . . .

Soba Noodles with walnuts, fennel and peas.
Serves four, Prep time: 10 minutes, total time: 25

2/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
10 ounces of soba noodles. (The buckwheat shrinks fat cells and it has sooo much protein!)
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bulbs fennel, fronds and ends trimmed, thinly sliced. (Often times grocery stores incorrectly label fennel as anise)
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth. ( I used chicken.)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon lemon zest. (I actually used a squirt of fresh lemon juice as a finisher before serving.)
grated Romano cheese to top when done.
You can also add Turkey meatballs if you are a meat eater - but they are really not necessary.

TOAST the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. I find a little butter opens up the flavor of the walnuts oh so well. Set aside.

HEAT in a large skillet, wok or saute pan the olive oil over medium heat.
Add garlic - saute for 1 minute.
Add fennel and stir fry over medium low heat for 8 minutes or until softened.
Add peas, broth and salt.
Simmer over low heat.

Cook, your soba noodles. It only takes 3-4 minutes once the water is boiling. Drain them, but don't rinse the noodles. The starch from the soba when you mix every thing together will make it like a cream sauce - so don't rinse.

Toss everything together.
Serve.

It's roughly 500 calories per serving, but 24 grams of protein.

Enjoy!

Until next time true believers . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment